The Church of the Holy Cross : Stateburg, Sumter County

Authors
South Carolina Department of Archives and History
Keywords
Church of the Holy Cross (Stateburg, S.C.) , Historic buildings--Conservation and restoration--South Carolina--Stateburg , Grants-in-aid--South Carolina--Stateburg , Church buildings--Conservation and restoration--South Carolina--Stateburg
Abstract
Description
Built in 1850, this Gothic Revival building is constructed of pisé de terre, or rammed earth. It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1973. In 2000 a major restoration project was undertaken to strengthen the steep roof, replace in kind as needed the damaged wooden trusses, framing, lath and timbers, install a new slate roof, recoat the exterior pebbledash coating and repaint with the historic colors, repair interior plaster, preserve Minton tiles, and replace the existing HVAC.
Loading...
Thumbnail Image
Issue Date
2011
Contributor
Date Accessioned
2012-06-04T14:49:32Z
Date Available
2012-06-04T14:49:32Z
Item Format
Media Type
Document
Item Language
English
Publisher
South Carolina State Library
Digital Collection
South Carolina State Documents Depository
Rights
Copyright status undetermined. For more information contact, South Carolina State Library, 1500 Senate Street, Columbia, South Carolina 29201.
Type
Text
Digitization Specifications
This South Carolina State Document was either saved from a document available publicly online in PDF format or converted to PDF using Adobe Acrobat X Standard.