Archaeological Testing in the Side Yard of Eliga's House (31BW787**7), Orton Plantation
Description:PDF FileMIME type:application/pdfFile Size:3.386Mb
SubjectArchaeological surveying--North Carolina--Brunswick County; Brunswick County (N.C.)--Antiquities; Orton Plantation (N.C.)--Antiquities; Antiquities; Archaeological surveying; North Carolina--Brunswick County; North Carolina--Orton Plantation
Extensive structural rehabilitation is proposed for the architectural site commonly known as Elijah’s House (although correctly identified as Eliga’s House), situated at the northern end of 31BW787**7 on Orton Plantation. This site, within the National Register boundaries for Orton Plantation and identified as a contributing resource, is a series of 19th and early 20th century domestic sites. Although the extant historic structure was the only one remaining by 1935, there were earlier a series of five structures on the edge of the rice fields, thought to represent a late antebellum slave settlement.
MetadataShow full item record
|Rights||Copyright 2015 © Chicora Foundation, Inc. For more information contact the South Carolina State Library. statelibrary.sc.gov|
|sd.notes||"Revised October 2015."|
|Digitization Specifications||South Carolina State Document was either saved from a document available publicly online in PDF format or converted to PDF using Adobe Acrobat DC.|